Warning . . . this section should always be visited on a full stomach.
Failure to eat before reading this section will result in mouth watering
hunger pains . . . NOT!
Come on now . . . This isn't one of those mouth watering commercials
that you can practically smell and taste on TV. This is a section
for the compulsive planners that think food in the hotel zone is
part of the Mexican experience. Well that is no more true than saying
that Taco Bell is Mexican food.
While there are some very good places to find real Mexican food
in Cancun . . . most of what you will find near your hotel is tailored
towards a broad spectrum of visitors who want a choice between French,
Italian, or McDonalds :(
Before going too much further . . . it should be noted that the
following list will first be divided into zones (i.e.. hotel zone
and Cancun's downtown). . . and subdivided into price ranges (High,
Medium, Low). However, bear in mind that just because it is in the
hotel zone doesn't mean that you can walk there. The restaurants
in the downtown area, actually are within walking distance for most
people . . . but then the downtown area is smaller than the hotel
Furthermore, if you expect a full list of all restaurants including
McDonalds, Burger King, and Pizza hut, I suggest that you save yourself
some money . . . stay home, and rent a Cancun video. The whole point
behind traveling is to experience new and different things.
Cancun Hotel Zone Restaurants :
- Aioli : A fancy French restaurant with an extensive wine list.
If you are in the mood for some great food, and you have plenty
of room on your gold card, this may be the place. Located at km
14. Reservations may be made by calling 998-881-2260
- Blue Bayou : Cajun food with a live Jazz band nights and weekends.
Located at km 10.5, reservations are recommended. 998-848-5576
- Captain Hook Lobster Dinner Cruise : Costs around $60 USD and
leaves from El Embarcadero. Dinner includes pirate show. Call for
times and reservations 998-849-4451
- Casa Rolandi : Italian restaurant influenced by the Swiss (Northern
Italian). Located in Plaza Caracol, km 8.5. Reservations can be
made by calling 998-883-2557
- La Basilic : French food made by a French Chef. Located at km
9.5. Reservations are recommended. 998-881-3200 ext. 4220
- La Destileria : I suppose if I'm going to list a high end quasi-Mexican-style
restaurant . . . I should list La Destileria if only for its selection
of Tequila. They do have some very good Mexican dishes . . . but
the menu is a little more international with a Mexican twist.
- Laguna Grill : This place has some very good food (and prices
to match). But if price is no object . . . they have a mouth watering
menu and decent wine list. Located at km 15.6. Reservations can
be made at 998-885-0267
- La Madonna : Italian food. They say that their Italian cuisine
has a Swiss influence, that they have a large selection of Cigars
and well stocked bar. . . I love real Italian food, and recommend
anything approaching it. So go to "La Isla" shopping mall at km
12.5 and check out their menu.
- Club Grill : Classic dishes (steak, lobster, roast duck, etc.)
made with a Mexican twist. Located at km 14. Open for dinner only.
- Gustino Italian Beachside Grill : If you love Italian food .
. . this is simply one place that you must try while in Cancun.
Call and make reservations (don't just show up) 998-848-9600 ext.
6649. Located at Marriott blvd. and km 14.5 (dinner only)
- La Dolce Vita : (The Sweet Life) is an Italian restaurant with
great tasting dishes that are a bit more affordable than the exclusive
restaurants in the "High" range above. Located at km 14.5. Phone
- La Casa de las Margaritas : If you want a good Mexican restaurant
in the hotel zone, this is the one I would recommend. Located in
the "La Isla" shopping center km 12.5 -- So go have a huge Mexican
meal and let it settle as you relax while watching a movie in English
(with Spanish subtitles) in the La Isla's movie theater.
- Lorenzillo's : Seafood in a nice family friendly restaurant where
you can choose the Lobster you want (from a large tank). Located
at km 10.5 / phone 998-883-1254
- Mikado : Sushi restaurant at km 14.5 (dinner only).